LiteLicks are the ideal way to supply a top up of vitamins and minerals with very low levels of sugar to keep your horse healthy and in perfect condition.
LiteLick Garlic contains garlic for its natural fly repellent properties.
The Dengie LiteLick promise
- Comprehensive range of nutrients
- Low sugar
- For optimum health and condition
Who are Dengie LiteLicks suitable for?
- If your horse or pony needs little or no feed to maintain their weight then providing them with a lick allows them free access to essential vitamins and minerals to meet their requirements.
- LiteLicks will help to counteract any deficiencies in pasture and conserved forage such as hay; UK forages are usually low in copper and selenium for example.
- Garlic is believed to act as a natural fly repellent and so LiteLick Garlic can be particularly beneficial for horses and ponies that are irritated by flies.
- Allowing free choice access to a lick that contains salt is ideal for working horses as it allows them to top up on any losses that occur through sweating.
How much sugar do Dengie LiteLicks contain?
The sugar level in Dengie Lite Licks is only 7% which is very low. The following information should help to illustrate just how low this is:
- Licks based largely on molasses usually contain about 30% sugar.
- 250g (the estimated daily consumption rate) of Dengie LiteLicks will supply 17.5g of sugar – that’s less than the amount 2 scoops of Hi-Fi Lite would provide.
- Hay is around 10% sugar and so one section (2kgs) provides around 200g which is over 10 times more than the Litelick provides if consumed at the recommended rate.
This means that Dengie Lite Licks can be used for horses and ponies prone to laminitis as long as intake is monitored carefully. If your horse or pony is consuming more then you must restrict their access to the lick either by replacing the lid or removing it from the stable or paddock. It is common for horses and ponies to consume more when introduced to a lick for the first time but once the novelty wears off, consumption rates should settle down.
What else do Dengie LiteLicks contain?
LiteLicks contain the following ingredients or nutrients:
- Alfalfa - provides highly bio-available vitamins and minerals that help to promote healthy coat, skin and hooves.
- Biotin - is also included for healthy hooves – the typical consumption rate supplies 2.5mg which is a good level for maintaining hoof quality.
- Chelated minerals - are included for improved bioavailability to promote good health and condition.
Can I use LiteLicks outside?
Lite licks are shower proof so can be used in the paddock. Prolonged or heavy rain may compromise the integrity of the lick and so any water that collects on the lick should be tipped off and where possible, the lid should be replaced when conditions are particularly severe.
How long will a LiteLick last?
The estimated consumption rate is 250g per day which should mean that one lick will last just over a month. If other sources of vitamins and minerals are fed then consumption of the lick may be much lower and so the lick will last longer.